Saturday, March 28, 2009

Handle With Care

http://linuxcaffe.com/files/EarthHourLogo.jpg

Well, this afternoon while I was performing duties with SPARK, I was teaching the King's Kidz about how we,as God's children, are to make Him happy by taking very good care of what he has made and given us.

Then later at night we went to church for Uncle Bob's appreciation dinner. Then I found myself in a situation. I had to do what I had taught. As the thinnest needle on my watch hit 8:29, I was quietly counting the 60 seconds left till we to switch off our lights for the "Earth Hour". Yes, so Bethany Chapel did participate in Earth Hour and I am somewhat proud of that (the furthest we went). But when I went out (to see all the lights off) people were doing things as usual and you wouldn't have guessed that "Earth Hour" was going on.



Lights Out @ Bethany Chapel


Sadly, Malaysians just don't get this "saving the world thing". The "I", "Me", and "Myself" is, unfortunately, very much apart of the culture. (That's why it's not hard to find an unflushed toilet..) Oma is down and she was out for dinner. Her hosts told her that "a Chinese businessman would never off the lights to inconvenience his business". Typical yet sad.

As a Christian, I always must tell myself that whatever happens. I am a Christian FIRST and foremost. I am a Christian student. I am a Christian Malaysian. I am also a Christian Indian or Chindian. That shows that even our "Chinese" or racial "culture"/"beliefs" should come second when it comes to what God wants us to do.




My take,
Luv,
-
jO-

1 comment:

Famous Hilda Q14 said...

you off the lights, you may be saving something.. but isn't it a give and take situation? you burn candles instead! Therefore,hurting the OZONE LAYER? A bit like Open Fire/open burning...LOL